Monday, February 25, 2019

Scots in Ireland, the Ulster Plantation, and Other Items

Growing up I remember my mother telling me that it was believed we descended from the "Scotch-Irish." For starters, I know that the correct term should be "Scot-Irish," as "Scotch" properly refers to a type of whiskey.  But until recently I had no real evidence to explain this ethnic background.  In recent work on my family tree I was working on the profile of who I believe is my 3rd great-grandfather Charles McCauley, 1806-1860 (or Macauley, as the name is know earlier up the line).  He was married to Margaret nee Lamant, 1812-1860.   Charles may possibly have been born in Antrim, Ireland, and Margaret, from what I know, is simply noted as born in Ireland.  Turns out both names, however, are associated with Scotland and Ireland and may be associated with the moving of some Scots in the 17th century to the north-east part of Ireland.  This may be part of the so-called "Plantation of Ulster" in the 17th century, which was an organized colonization of the Ulster area (of which Co. Antrim is a part) by Great Britain.  Many who populated this region were from Scotland and England.  The Scots, it is noted, came from the lowlands of Scotland.

So, my one seemingly strong connection with Ireland may be just as Scottish as it is Irish!

Charles and Margaret were married in Ireland in 1834, but records indicate that by 1850 they are living in New York.  This move, again, may have an historical reason.  The "Great Famine" in Ireland occurred between 1845 and 1849 and was responsible for a sizeable emigration out of Ireland. So great was the death and emigration that the population of the island is said to have dropped from 20% to 25%.
My great grandmother Alice nee Reynolds, 1833 - 1903 (later Macauley) was born in Ireland in 1833.  She arrived in this country in 1840, and I wonder if her family also left as the economy worsened with the impending famine soon to follow.  Reynolds, it is believed, is the anglicized version of the Irish MAC RAGHNAILL, but the form MAC RANNALL is considered nearer the original. So my great grandmother may be a closer and truer Irish connection.  The Mac Rannalls are associated with County Leitrim, which like Antrim, is also in the northern part of Ireland, to the south-west of Antrim.


No comments: