Thursday, February 28, 2019

More Possible Scotish Roots

As noted before my family tree more and more appears Scottish as opposed to Irish.  Two additional names: Flynt and Gillock.  The Flynt line, which may even include a Scottish bishop, begins with my second great-grandmother Salena Catherine Flynt (1827-1888), who married Richard Church, my second great-grandfather in 1847. The Scottish connection in this line doesn't seem to appear for several generations, arriving, by my initial investigations, with my 8th great-grandfather Richard I. Flynt (1634-1663). Going out that many generations, of course, presents any number of possibilities for mistakes.

The Gillock line begins with my second great-grandmother Harriet Gillock (1828-1907).  She married Absolom Smith, my second great-grandfather, so this line comes from my natural father's side, whereas the Flynt line comes through my mother's side.  I don't have to go quite as far out to find the Scottish connection here - only to my supposed 5th great-grandfather Lawrence Gillock, Sr. (1728-1786). This name may have a number of variants including Gilloch and Gelak.

A third name presents yet one more opportunity to find a Scottish connection. However, as with all things genealogical, this is not by any means conclusive.  This possible connection would be my 5th great-great grandmother Jane Elizabeth Lindsay (1728-1800).  Some doubt was expressed as to whether Lidsay is her maiden name, so more evidence will have to be secured before I have full assurance that this line is truly Scottish. The Scottish connection, if it is true, seems to appear in a possible 9th great-grandfather, James Lindsay (1623-1674).  The Lindsays appear to have come from the Scottish lowlands. 

As a side note, it is interesting, as I reviewed these family lines, how many immigrated to Virginia from Scotland.  this is also born out by my DNA results which have my genetic fore-bearers as being heavily invested in the Virginia area.  One interesting history of the Scottish immigration to North America can be found here.  As noted in this brief article: "Poverty has always been noted as the main reason for Scottish emigration. Two-thirds of the land is harsh – rocky, ill-drained, swept by rain-bearing winds off the Atlantic and far from the Mediterranean and medieval centres of European trade and culture. The first Scottish communities away from home were founded by traders. In the 17th century a new factor was driving Scots away from their homes. Schools in Lowland parishes producing a literate population resulted in five universities in a country of under a million people. This created a highly educated middle class. In an underdeveloped Scottish economy, however, there was a shortage of middle-class jobs and this caused many Scots to leave for the likes of England, to several of the Baltic States and to North America."

An Addendum: One more name surfaced: Stuart, a version of Stewart, which is identified as a Scottish surname.  This line comes through my natural father William Deroy Smith: William --Archibald Luna Smith --Amanda Levan (great-grandmother) --William I. Petty (2nd great-grandfather)--Anna Elizabeth Stuart (3rd great-grandmother, 1788-1850) --William Stuart (4th great-grandfather, 1765-1804).  At this point it ends in my Ancestry work without any more current leads and no conclusive information tying this line directly to Scotland.   I have seen this name also associated with Ireland as well.

No comments: