Monday, March 31, 2008

Family Names

My family tree is probably a bit more complicated than some, and therefore involves a few more names to which I am connected. I list them here in the event that someone may be researching family trees connected with any of them.

ENGEBRETSON - I was adopted by my father George Engebretson in 1974, who was the son of the late Douglas Engebretson (1895-1925) and Stella nee Duranso. His first marriage was to a Gerda nee Schnell of Germany, in 1955 while he was stationed overseas. They were divorced in 1958, but had one daughter Caroline. Gerda later died in 1971. He was married to my mother Dorothy in 1972. He passed away in 1988. My mother passed away in 2002. Prior to 1974 I carried my mother's maiden name Grass. George lived from 1922 to 1988, and was a highly decorated veteran of World War II and the Korean conflict, earning the Bronze Star among other medals. During World War II he fought in the famous Normandy Invasion and was most likely present at the Nuremberg War Trials. But more of that later....

SMITH - Now how's that for a common name! Unfortunately this was the name of my natural father, William D. Smith. I was born in Pasadena in 1960 and lost track of him years ago since my mother chose to raise me by herself, and we moved from the coast in the late 60's. There must be literally hundreds, if not thousands of men by his name associated with California. I believe he may have passed away sometime in the 1970's. He worked for the well-known Ollie Hammond's Steak House in California back in the 1950's and 1960's. More about Ollie Hammonds in a future article....

GRASS - This was my mother's maiden name. My natural grandfather, who passed away in 1933 from an auto accident, was Charles Grass. Dorothy, my mother, was a cousin of the well-known Cliff Grass, past member of Guy Lambardo's band. More on that later.... BTW, my grandmother ran across some information that suggests that the name Grass may be a variation of DeGrass (DeGrasse?), a French name. For many years we thought that it was an Anglicization of an Austrian name Grauf or Graus, or something like that.

MACAULEY - This name reflects a Scotch-Irish heritage. This was my maternal grandmother's maiden name. Her first name was Pearl. The McCauley family from which I am descended is mainly connected with Crandon, Wisconsin. My great-grandfather was Thomas Walter Macauley (1873 - 1937). My great-great grandfather was William Macauley who had been born in New York state, city unknown. He died in 1897. My maternal great-grandmother was Margaret (nee Rupp) Macauley (1882-1964). My great-great grandfather's mother's maiden name was Reynolds, and she was born in Ireland.

BOHLMAN - This is the name of my mother's stepfather, the only grandfather I really ever knew. His name was Leonard, and he passed away in 1986. I believe my grandmother remarried in 1937.

No comments: